Friday, December 26, 2008

The Tale of the Teal Peep-Toe Part Deux

I'm sure my dear friend in Portland will be happy to know that I made the decision to return the stunning-to-look-at shoes. Because they were so stunning to look at I put them on my desk so that I could have some company while I worked on the computer.

My husband, who usually doesn't notice my shoes all that much, unless they are really outlandish, like my Holstein print kitten heels that I actually wore to church on Christmas for Nightingale, looked at these shoes and exclaimed.

-"What on earth are those?"

-"Shoes . . . (I thought about explaining that they were made in Italy and came with their own dust bag, but decided against it, as he immediately commented on the color).

-"They're ocean blue. They look like doll shoes. What would you wear those with and, the more important question is, why would you wear them?"

-"Black. They go with black." I tried them on. He put his hand over his eyes and said.

-"Honey - those are not you. And they look too small. Your toes are all squished. Maybe for Madonna, but not you. Stick with your pointy black elf shoes." (Is it good or bad that my husband thinks I dress like an elf?)

Whose opinion could matter more - even Olivia's elongated gasp of envy and the way she says "Oh, those are super cute" and not in that Southern California way that it is so atrocious, but in a distinct Olivia, I work for Barneys New York as a personal stylist way could convince me otherwise.

Fate has its hand in everything. And this was as clear as it could be. My stunning ocean-blues had to go back to New York (actually New Jersey) from whence they came.

I remarked to Maria last night on the phone that I do not participate in pop culture. I think all this agonizing over a pair of "in the moment" shoes shows that I indeed do participate in pop culture. (But I still have no intention of reading Harry Potter)

So, I'll have to think of what to wear to Anna's party now that these are no longer an option. Maybe my signature elf shoes. It is Christmas, after all.

5 comments:

keri said...

Kat...you are so great! Love your blog.Irini

Iconography Girl said...

LAUGH! I totally hear your DH saying that (inflection and all).

Well, my dear, I am proud of you. If nothing else, just think what that $100+ can buy (other than another pair of gorgeous toe-pinchers).

What did you end up wearing to the ball? I am sure you were quite elegant, no matter which shoes you wore :)

You are beautiful.

xoxox Your left-coast friend addicted to Danskos

A M B E R said...

hey, did you send them back yet? I want to see them. Post us a photo!

Kintea said...

Yes, did you send them back yet? I'm sure it's time!

Kintea said...

When should we expect another post?